Beat The Heat
I know there are those who look forward to winter. And, I know there are those who enjoy every minute of every summer day. But when the thermometer turns red, the humidity makes it feel like the air you wear, and it's so hot even your eyes sweat, it's hot!
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when trying to keep cool, and save energy.
- Close blinds and drapes or cover windows during daylight hours to keep the sun off the glass.
- Keep your house closed during the day to keep heat out and ventilate it well at night to let cool air in.
- Turn off the lights in unoccupied rooms. Turn off or unplug unnecessary electronics.
- Dress for the weather. Wear lightweight, loose fitting clothing on hot days to help keep cool.
- Drink plenty of cold liquids.
- Skip the dishwasher’s drying cycle. Air dry items instead.
- Dry laundry on a clothesline.
- Set your A/C thermostat to 78.
- Cook more meals in your microwave or grill outdoors. This will cook your food without heating your home.
- Use a fan with your room air conditioner to help move the cool air throughout the house.