Tips to Save Energy This Summer
It seems like only yesterday that I was out snow blowing the driveway every other day. The amount of light we receive each day is growing longer, and we have temperatures that feel more like July than May. Official Summer will be here before you know it, so here are some tips to save you energy this summer.
1. Shut or lower window coverings during the day to stop the sun from heating up your home.
2. Take cooler showers. This will save energy, and help cool you off on those hot and sunny days.
3. Use a microwave or countertop appliance instead of the oven.
4. If using an air conditioner be sure to keep doors and windows closed. You don't have to cool the outdoors.
5. Check the airflow around doors and windows (add weather stripping if needed). Stopping air flow not only keeps hot air out in the summer, it keeps cold air out in the winter.
6. Set your thermostat a few degrees higher. If you have a programable thermostat, set it so the air conditioner isn't operating when no one is home.